Hail and welcome,
This is the place to chat about the Legend and Morningstar nominated authors.
What about their writing gives them your vote? What similarities are there between their work and David's work? What will keep you coming back for more?

Please discuss the authors and their work and help others to make their mind up for the vote.

Views: 1603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I've not read a single one of this years nominations, except for 50 pages of Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

I'd like Sara Douglas to win just because that would be a nice farewell to another monumental talent who has sadly departed us this year.

Amazing.. the first book ( Endurance' by Jay Lake )  on the list has only just been released in the UK..  Doh! 

The next book on the list is the second in a trilogy  and you will need to have read " Spellwright "

The third book ('Samiha's Song' by Mary Victoria ) is impossible to find ....

Book 4 ( 'The Heroes' by Joe Abercrombie ) Hurrah a book I can find easily and one that isn`t part 2  etc

Number five on the list ( 'The Kingdom of Gods' by NK Jemisin ) is book 3 of a series so I will have to find the first two before reading the nominated one.... sigh!

Book six is ( 'The Alloy of Law' by Brandon Sanderson ) is book 4 but most of us will have read the first trilogy so I will let this one slide.

Number seven on the list ( 'Blackveil' by Kristen Britain ) is book 4 in the series... nuff said.

Hah.. Book eight on the list is ( 'Revenant' by Bevan McGuiness ) is book 3 and only available on the kindle lol...

ok, Book nine ( 'The Tempering of Men' Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette ) isn`t released until june ... 

Getting Annoyed now....

Number ten on the list ( 'Exile' by Rebecca Lim ) is book 2 but you can buy this and the first one for 99p on Kindle and the 3rd one is already available.. But on a personal note.. WHY is it even here.

On to Book 11 ( 'The Sea Watch' by Adrian Tchaikovsky )  Number six in the series .. lol . oh it`s ok I`ve read the first two so only 3 more to read before I get to this one... hehe.

Book 12 ( 'The Crippled God' by Steven Erikson ) Surely this Series Deserves some kind of Special Award, possibly the most Defining Fantasy  since " LORD OF THE RINGS"

Sorry folks, thats all I can be bothered with right now, if anyone fancies carrying it on.. Please do

I've read five.

THE EMPEROR'S KNIFE - MARZAKIS WILLIAMS

This was a great début and one of my better reads for the year. I gave 3.7/5 in my review.

THE WISE MAN'S FEAR - PATRICK ROTHFUSS

Probably the book I was most disappointed with this year. Had High expectations for it given I absolutely loved the first book. 3.1/5 review.

THE DRAGON'S PATH - DANIEL ABRAHAM

This is the book that got my vote. Great characters and story. 4.3/5 review.

THE HEIR OF NIGHT - HELEN LOWE

To much world building crammed into it and poor characters. 2.5/5 review.

THE HEROES - JOE ABERCROMBIE

Probably the best book yet from Joe. Still too bloody depressing though for it to get my vote. I like happy endings! 

I've also read Among Thieves and Prince of Thorns, which i'm guessing will be in the Morningstar Award. Will hopefully read a few more of the noms this year, but I can't see any of them topping The Dragon's Path for me.

Oh and what's the story behind aDwD not being nominated? Or am I going blind again?

Chris Greaves - yes, well, Fantasy tends to come in series does it not? Unfortunately, because the DGLA is an international award, we do tend to get Nominations from the USA for books not yet published here in the UK (and visa versa - the UK being a hotbed of Fantasy talent!) What we tend to do is allow joint Nominations so that all the territories can have their chance to Nominate (and promote their authors on the back of it - we're all about showcasing new talent & we've got some great 'Morningstars' this year... BTW, what list are you reading from? They seem to be in a funny random order...  might be because you're reading off the Poll page (which is set up to display differently & randomly each time?  Good that you mention Kindle editions - I would suggest if it's difficult to find a couple of the Australian authors, people might be able to get them via Kindle.

ChrisW - sorry, being dense here (post-Festive fog!)... what's a  "aDwD"?

Thanks for all your comments guys - keep em coming! We love to have discussion happening re the books!

Yeah that was lazy of me given 'A Dance With Dragons' probably didn't sell many copies from that little known author George R.R. Martin. :P (need smilies)

I'll widen the question a tad. Why no Noms from either Bantam or Harper Voyager? They boycotting the award or is their PR department just to lazy to write you guys an email? Seems like a bit of a hollow victory for who ever wins if the big boy(GRRM) is not in the ring. Will make the outcome a lot more uncertain though.

Hey Chris,

Bantam and Corgi are under Transworld.  Of which they have Terry Pratchet's Snuff, Steven Erikson's final tale in the epic Malazan Book of the Fallen series (although he has signed a contract for more books set in the same world) and also Alison Goodman's The Necklace of the Gods.  (Titled Eona in the US.)

The only two getting consideration from moi are The Heroes and Stormlords Exile. Now i have to decide which is number one. Both are top notch.

joe

What are the eligibility criteria for books being nominated? In particular, what's the time frame for eligibility? I'm asking because I'm surprised that the imminent book by DGLA's good friend James Barclay isn't on Gollancz's list. I know that 'Elves: Rise of the TaiGethen' isn't out yet (Amazon UK says it's out on 16 Feb), but I'm massively looking forward to it, having really enjoyed the first volume, and was hoping I might be able to read it as soon as it comes out, and then vote for it - if it's as good as I'm hoping!

Sorry - should have asked this in my previous post. I'm not entirely clear of the overall process for getting to the final winner of each award. My guess, from what I've read on the site, is that (a) publishers nominate one or more of their titles to the longlist; (b) the public can vote for one longlisted title in each of the three categories (that's the process that's live now, I think, but I'm not sure what the deadline for this phase is); (c) the five longlisted titles in each category with the most votes will go forwards to the shortlist (not sure when this will happen); (d) the public will get a second chance to vote for their favourite on each of the 3 shortlists (not sure when this will happen); and (e) the winners of this second round of votes will be announced in June at the Awards ceremony.

Is that right? If so, I think it might be worth making it clearer on the website, preferably in a single "rules and timings" document accessible from the home page, so everyone is clear about the process. I'm particularly unclear on the timing of the various phases - and last year, I missed out on voting for the Ravenheart award by a day, as I wasn't sure when it closed.

If I've missed the rules document, my apologies - please just point me to it instead!

Cheers, Patrick.

Has to be published for the first time in the 2011 calender year. There is a criteria pdf link on the main page (link). Needs the dates changed though as it's from 2009.

Patrick Mahon said:

What are the eligibility criteria for books being nominated? In particular, what's the time frame for eligibility? I'm asking because I'm surprised that the imminent book by DGLA's good friend James Barclay isn't on Gollancz's list. I know that 'Elves: Rise of the TaiGethen' isn't out yet (Amazon UK says it's out on 16 Feb), but I'm massively looking forward to it, having really enjoyed the first volume, and was hoping I might be able to read it as soon as it comes out, and then vote for it - if it's as good as I'm hoping!

I take it from that, you don't know why aDwD wasn't nominated? 

drosdelnoch said:

Hey Chris,

Bantam and Corgi are under Transworld.  Of which they have Terry Pratchet's Snuff, Steven Erikson's final tale in the epic Malazan Book of the Fallen series (although he has signed a contract for more books set in the same world) and also Alison Goodman's The Necklace of the Gods.  (Titled Eona in the US.)

Hi Chris,

A Dance with Dragons was published in the UK by Harper Collins.  When we queried there had been a technical problem just prior to the Christmas break so they've resent them which has now been updated and added.  As you can now see, ADwD is on the nomination list.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Be a Legend!

The DGLA is a Not-for-Profit organisation, which operates through the goodwill of its volunteers, sponsors and friends.

If you would like to help the DGLA continue, please consider making a small donation to our funds:

Tribute Anthology

AVAILABLE NOW

From Newcon Press

The Award (Quick Links)