We're certainly interested to know if there is any masterpiece of Fantasy we've missed - or rather, the publishers have neglected to mention...

BUT before you post - think carefully about the Award Criteria:

The novel must be full-length (not novella)
Fantasy FIRST published (anywhere in the world) in 2008.
"In the spirit of David Gemmell" - by which we mean, Traditional, Heroic or Epic, and with strong characterisation & quality.

Now, you may consider that some of the publishers have not stuck as rigidly to this brief as they might have - but that's a matter for us to sort out with them! So please don't go down the route of... "Well, you're letting XXX in, so surely you should let XXX in as well..."

Let us know what you think!

Views: 524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i am finding all three great books
looks like this is a very strong candidate for my vote

also maybe for the future have an option to nominate a series instead of a book (there are quite a few if these 3 books in a year trilogies nowadays )

Deborah J Miller - Award Administrator said:
Hi, Or
I imagine Mr Weeks publisher did not want to split his vote amongst the three books & so decided to just Nominate the debut novel, 'Way of Shadows' - You can imagine if all of Brent's fans came on to vote, but all voted for the installment of the series they were currently reading, then it would make it less likely that Brent would make it onto the Shortlist, despite having many fans. I take it you are enjoying the series, Or? I have heard good things about it too!
Yes - I agree - 'Best Series' is certainly an option to consider for future years! We have decided to keep things simple for now, as we're just starting out, but people have mentioned other categories... watch this space, as they say!
If it is a duet with the second installment released in 2008 does a series qualify?
If yes, I absolutely enjoyed the "Lighthouse Duet" by Carol Berg and believe she is currently one of the best out there.

Her story is set against a background of nations, cultures, social custom, magic, mythology and intrigue that adds depth and a gritty credibility to the story but does not overwhelm or overshadow her characters. Speaking of which, her characters are complex three dimensional "people" who evolve and/or are revealed throughout the two books. Plot twists are dynamic and surprising but stay within the realm of credible action rather then omniscient whim and add rather than detract from the consistency of the storyline. The blend of magical creatures and abilities enhances character development rather than replaces it and the humans and villains grow and change while staying true to their basic nature.

Yea, I really enjoyed the series and in the last year have become a fan of Carol Berg.
Jim Butcher - Codex Alera Series

Though the fifth book (Princeps Fury) isn't my favorite of the series, it was published in 2008 and therefore qualifies to be considered for this award. This epic series is a masterpiece of charachter creation and humor. If you read his early work (the Dresden Files) you can see how Jim Butcher has grown into a phenomenal storyteller. Humor and intrigue combined with fantasy and heroicism.
I'd like to suggest K.V. Johansen's Treason in Eswy, the second volume of her Warlocks of Talverdin series. It was published in 2008 by Orca.

The first volume, Nightwalker, was selected by Voya for their annual list of the year's Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.
I have several of the books on the nominee list, but i can think of at least 2 more that would have been eligible, and are not well known -
Corambis by Sarah Monette, which is the 4th and final in a series about a gay magician and his half brother, I have the first 3 and they were quite dark.
Necromancers Betrayal by A J Dalton, it's a dark fantasy, but doesn't stray as much into horror as the author seems to think it does. Having villages massacred by a evil spirit avatar to bodily manifest is not all that new
Also 3 by big names that may or may not have qualified
Princess of landover by Terry Brooks 6th in the landover series which is a crossover fantasy (this world to that world) the King of the land is from earth. I don't know if earth makes an appearance in this one though
Unseen Academicals by Pratchett, but it's comic fantasy, not quite in the spirit of Gemmell.
Wings of Wrath by Celia Friedman - but I can't work out if this is a fantasy or another science ficton post apocalyptic future
HI Lindsay,
I haven't come across Sarah or AJ's work before so I might well look them up. As to the bigger names, I was a little surprised that Celia wasn't nommed by Orbit especially with this offering after the previous two had performed so well.

Thanks for the reply,

Gareth
You mean DAW not Orbit I assume. They didn't participate at all this year right?

drosdelnoch said:
HI Lindsay,
I haven't come across Sarah or AJ's work before so I might well look them up. As to the bigger names, I was a little surprised that Celia wasn't nommed by Orbit especially with this offering after the previous two had performed so well.

Thanks for the reply,

Gareth
Celia's books are printed by Orbit in the UK.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Deborah J Miller - Award Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service