Anyone got any recommendations? I've heard that George R.R. Martin is similar.

Tags: author, fantasy, gemmell, heroic

Views: 8264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a tricky one, Ward! George RR Martin is a terrific writer - but much more densely plotted that David's books - more demanding, I guess you could say... complex, with wonderful characterisation - but personally, I wouldn't say he was particularly *like* DG.

A name which crops up often is James Barclay - or if it's the historical aspect you enjoy, rather than the Fantasy, Conn Iggulden - both authors friends off, and influenced by David...

A couple on our Shortlist have been mentioned in the same breath - but as unbiased Awards Administrator, I shouldn't really say!
Yes! James Barclay is a very, very good read. The plot of the first three books are wonderful, and after that the rest are great. I recomend the Raven books over the Ascendants of Estoria, mainly because I found the latter a little "too" full of information for my liking (in the beginning at least).

If you enjoy historical drama/fiction then I recommend the Templar Trilogy by Jack Whyte. Those are GREAT, I am just about finished the second, and I can not wait to read the third one when it comes out. Also, apparently after he finished the Templar books he has a trilogy about Scottish heroes of the 14th century.

Deborah J Miller - Award Administrator said:
That's a tricky one, Ward! George RR Martin is a terrific writer - but much more densely plotted that David's books - more demanding, I guess you could say... complex, with wonderful characterisation - but personally, I wouldn't say he was particularly *like* DG.
A name which crops up often is James Barclay - or if it's the historical aspect you enjoy, rather than the Fantasy, Conn Iggulden - both authors friends off, and influenced by David...
A couple on our Shortlist have been mentioned in the same breath - but as unbiased Awards Administrator, I shouldn't really say!
I bought and read the Templar series by Jack Whyte about six years ago. They are very well written, I dont know why I didnt suggest those myself.

Has anyone read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I've heard a few people say that they're similar to the Shannow books. On a side note, has anyone found a character similar to Druss? I've read a lot of fantasy books, but I've never come across anyone remotely like Druss. It is my mission in life to make him a household name - even more famous than Conan, who unlike Druss, is morally questionable!
To be honest I don't think theres anyone out there like david, certain authors have similarities in writing styles though and I can definitely recommend Conn Iggulden. James' Raven series may also heavily appeal to you. Other than that theres a few others but I don't want to get accused of playing favourites.
I'm not an administrator so i can rave about the night angel trilogy (brent weeks) to my hearts content. i just loved that trilogy.
As well as the Brent Weeks trilogy, I also very much enjoyed the first book by Peter V. Brett 'The Painted Man'. Very much looking forward to the 2nd book (Desert Spear)
Ive read a lot of authors and i see very similar structures with the writing to David Gemmells works by an author called Geoff Thompson. Although he does not write fantasy his books are very thrilling. Watch My Back in particular was very entertaining.
There's no one like him, unfortunately!! I've been pouring my way through fantasy novels for years trying to find another Gemmell, and haven't done it yet :( Have you tried Adrian Tchaikovsky though? He's my new favourite thing in all the world :) As a lifelong Gemmell fan I'd say he's the closest I've found to date, in terms of pure reading enjoyment!
The only author I've come across that does low fantasy as well as Gemmell is probably George R R Martin. I'm very excited to see what they do with his books when the convert them into a TV series later this year.
WOW! I can't believe no has mentioned the King of heroic fantasy...Robert Ervin Howard!!!! Try also Lin Carter and L Sprague De Camp who also continued his legacy. The Robert Jordan Conan novels are also very good. Look out for characters such as Conan (obviously), Soloman Kane, King Kull, Bran Mak Morn and also more adventure stories like those with Francis Xavier Gordon. For a humourous western hero, try Brekinridge Elkins in the Bear Creek books.
I also have to agree that the Conn Iggulden books are also very good and in the same manner as David's, very hard to put down.
Terry Brooks Shannara series is also one to read. I have just finished reading the Dog of the North by Tim Stretton, this is also very good.
Hope this helps!
Stuart
If anyone's interested, there's a website called Fantastic Fiction which gives a list of novels that DG recommends. Here's the link: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/david-a-gemmell/

I notice a couple of the members from this website have made it on the list!
I was having a wander through Waterstone at lunch time and came across a book by Tom Lloyd which said on the front cover "epic fantasy very much in the mould of David Gemmell". I haven't read any of his work so can't comment, but there's another recommendation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Be a Legend!

The DGLA is a Not-for-Profit organisation, which operates through the goodwill of its volunteers, sponsors and friends.

If you would like to help the DGLA continue, please consider making a small donation to our funds:

Tribute Anthology

AVAILABLE NOW

From Newcon Press

The Award (Quick Links)