As an avid reader I tend to spend a lot of my time with my head stuck in a book, some have even joked at my collection calling it the Fantasy Aladdin’s Cave, and even gone so far as suggesting that I use it to create trenches to fight off the high brow literati for the honour of the genre. (Incidentally, if there is a Swedish Furniture chain that would like to come round, measure up, sort the shelving and install the lot for free, let me know. LOL)

Anyway, back onto point, lets just say that I read a hell of a lot and I thought that I would put my tuppence worth into the pot to kick this off. So books that I have spotted, and think may be nominated are (titles nominated by others are in brackets):

ABERCROMBIE, Joe – Best Served Cold
ABNETT, Dan – Triumff: Her Majesty’s Hero
(ABRAHAM, Daniel - The Price of Spring)
(BAKKER, R. Scott - The Judging Eye)
BARCLAY, James - Elves: Once walked with Gods Release Date Change
(CAMPBELL, Alan - God of Clocks)
CANAVAN, Trudi – The Magicians Apprentice
(CASHORE, Kristin - Fire)
CHADBOURN, Mark – Destroyer of Worlds
(DEAS, Stephen - The Adamantine Palace)
DURHAM, David Anthony – The Other Lands
(ELLIOTT, Kate - Traitor's Gate)
ERIKSON, Steven – Dust of Dreams
EVANS, Chris - The Light of Burning Shadows
(FARRELL, S.L. - A Magic of Nightfall)
FEIST, Raymond E – Rides a Dread Legion
(FOX, Daniel - Dragon in Chains)
(FRIEDMAN, C. S. - Wings of Wrath)
HEITZ, Markus – The Dwarves
HOBB, Robin – The Dragon Keeper
HOLDSTOCK, Robert – Avilion
(HUNT, Stephen - The Rise of the Iron Moon)
(JORDAN, Robert and SANDERSON, Brandon - The Gathering Storm)
(LAKE, Jay - Green)
LONG, Nathan – Shaman Slayer
LYNCH, Scott - The Republic of Thieves
MARTIN, Gail – Dark Lady’s Chosen
MAXEY, James – Dragon Seed
McINTOSH, Fiona – Tyrants Blood
McKENNA, Juliet – Blood in the Water
McNEILL, Graham – Empire (Time of Legends - Book two of the Sigmar Trilogy)
(MONETTE, Sarah - Corambis)
NEWTON, Mark Charan – Nights of Villjamur
(NOVIK, Naomi - In His Majesty's Service)
NICHOLLS, Stan - Orcs Bad Blood 2: Army of Shadows
PEVEL, Pierre - The Cardinal's Blades
(REDICK, Robert V.S. - The Rats and the Ruling Sea)
(REEVE, Philip - No Such Thing As Dragons)
(RUCKLEY, Brian - Fall of Thanes)
SALVATORE, RA - The Highwayman
(SANDERSON, Brandon - Warbreaker)
(SCHOLES, Ken - Lamentation)
(SPERRING, Kari - Living with Ghosts)
TCHAIKOVSKY, Adrian – Dragonfly Falling or Blood of the Mantis
WILLIAMS, Richard – Reiksguard
(WOODING, Chris - Retribution Falls)
(WRAIGHT, Chris - Dark Storm Gathering)
WRAIGHT, Chris – Iron Company

But who do you think will be nominated, get your thoughts in first and we'll see who's close when the publishers get their noms in.

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Garrett! I hadnt heard about the delay on GRRM, but i am not surprised. I agree that The Gathering Storm will probably be the fave but that wont stop me from enjoying the rest of that list!
joe
So close and yet, so far.

drosdelnoch said:
Got them added now, alas I've not been able to include the Felix Gillman title as the HB was originally printed on the 30th December 08.
CASHORE, Kristin - Fire
Just been reading about Aliette de Bodard, 'Servant of the Underworld' which is coming out in Spring 2010 from 'Angry Robot' (which is a division of Harper Collins)... so of course won't be eligible till... 2011... DOH!

Anyway, Aliette is "one to watch" according to her publisher. Although 'Servant of the Underworld' is her debut novel, she was a winner of 'Writers of the Future' and a finalist for the Campbell Award (she writes some horror short stories)
Great catch Debs. Funnily enough theres a couple of AR books that I mentioned in the listings so they could be of interest to you.
I'd like to see Tim Severin in there,

Vikings -Great Series

And i'm curently reading Corsair.

Well worth A Look!
Paul said:
I'd like to see Tim Severin in there,

Vikings -Great Series

And i'm curently reading Corsair.

Hi Paul,
Due to the rules the books nominated have to be published for the first time in English this year. Alas Tim's Viking series has been out a few years. Add to the mix that the books have to be fantasy in the "spirit" of David Gemmell to qualify. (Tim is historical fiction.) Great to hear from you though.
NICHOLLS, Stan - Army of Shadows
REEVE, Philip - No Such Thing As Dragons
WOODING, Chris - Retribution Falls
WRAIGHT, Chris - Dark Storm Gathering
Chris Hunt said:

Interesting selection there Chris. Funnily enough Im just about to reed Philip's Larklight series.
It's nice to see my current book recommended for possible inclusion on the long-list, and I really appreciate it; but as with the first Legend Award, I have to decline. Much as I'd love to be nominated for the Award, let alone win it, as Chair I can't be in the running. But thanks for the thought, guys.
I haven't read the Larklight series. Let me know how you get on.

drosdelnoch said:
Chris Hunt said:

Interesting selection there Chris. Funnily enough Im just about to reed Philip's Larklight series.
my other half is going nuts about joe abercrombie. hes been giggling his way through them i have banned him from reading them and pratchett in bed!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Be a Legend!

The DGLA is a Not-for-Profit organisation, which operates through the goodwill of its volunteers, sponsors and friends.

If you would like to help the DGLA continue, please consider making a small donation to our funds:

Tribute Anthology

AVAILABLE NOW

From Newcon Press

The Award (Quick Links)